CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

letter from D-day

Bravo Company
Normandy, France
June 21, 1945



Dear Jack,

I am so grateful for the chance to write this letter. So many others are no longer able to. Yesterday was the worst day of my life. I was so scared. It was worse than all of the paratrooper training I received in the US and my battle experience so far. I am part of the 23rd paratrooper division. Since my last letter, I have been in England. Yesterday at about midnight, we were awakened and loaded into C-47’s (our planes). At about 6:30am , we were over France. We were going to be dropped behind enemy lines. As we were flying, I saw hundreds and hundreds of planes and ships, each one fully loaded. The gear was heavy and I mean HEAVY, it weighed only fifty pounds less than I do. To pass the time while we were flying, we traded stories. One man said, the beach battle sites were chosen based on information from postcards sent to the army – we knew the French ports were too well defended and we didn’t have much information on the miles and miles of coast line. When I dropped, I was caught by a bad wind and was blown several miles off target. Our first objective was to make it to the ground alive, after that we were supposed to rondevu with our company. When I landed, I hadn’t a clue where I was and had no method of finding out.

No matter what I was told, I still think the only purpose of the paratroopers is to cause chaos. I stayed in the field where I landed for the night. In the morning, I saw a scout running down a road and used a clicker to signal him. When he signaled back, I knew he was a friend. He took me to his company, who were sheltering inside an abandoned barn. Sheltered me for the night and gave me food. Luckily, he knew where my company was. He gave me directions and I set off. When I got to my company, they were just carrying the wounded and dead from the last skirmish away. I hope you never see anything as horrible in your life.

We’ve been here for about two weeks now. I thought the food was bad back at base, the slop we’re eating now, makes standard meal-packs seem delicious. What I wouldn’t do for one of mom’s apple pies. I’m so glad you’re not old enough to be in this war. I think General Eisenhower is a good man and an excellent strategist, I just hope he has a good plan for getting us home. I wonder if he’ll ever run for president. Anyway, how are you, Mom, Fad, and Rover? Have you finished the tree house yet? Did dad finish repainting the house yet, or did he leave half the house one color and the other half another, again? Give Rover a scratch behind the ears for me. Hope you’re well,


Sincerely,
Alex

PS: here's a picture:

Image source: http://www.dday-overlord.com/photos/pus/p34.jpg

0 comments: